Recent Posts

weather

Indoor dogs and 4% rain: glad we dodged the other 96%

June 13, 2018 // 0 Comments

At NAnewsweb.com, we have recently acquired a dog. Until then, we rarely noted the weather, unless the sirens were blasting. Prissy strayed up to our home a few months ago, caught our attention by eating out of our front porch bird feeder and hung around for the several weeks it took us to decide we wanted a dog. A [Continue Reading]

Be careful out there: rainy days breed accidents

April 6, 2018 // 0 Comments

A single car involved in an accident today at the intersection of Hillcrest Drive and Gartin Street in New Albany ended in a precarious situation for the driver. New Albany Fire Department Rescue and an engine answered the call. The driver could not be assisted until live power lines were [Continue Reading]

Tuesday night storm causes extensive damage in New Albany area

April 3, 2018 // 1 Comment

A fast-moving storm struck New Albany about 8:30 p.m. Tuesday night causing widespread damage and leaving many residents without electrical service. New Albany Lights Gas and Water (NALGW) Manager Bill Mattox estimated at around 10 pm that a third or more of NALGW’s customers were without electrical service. [Continue Reading]

MDOT Reports Road Closures Due to Winter Weather/UPDATED

January 6, 2017 // 0 Comments

Updated 1-7-2017 Jackson, Miss. – The Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) has been working 24/7 throughout this winter weather event. Last night and today, first responders are assisting vehicles currently on interstates and roadways in the Jackson-Metro area to a safe destination. For the safety of the [Continue Reading]

“Well, I Reckon…” it’s tornado season: are you prepared?

April 1, 2016 // 0 Comments

Living in the south as we do, where the four seasons can easily turn into only two from time to time, it’s always a good idea to consider what you need to do in order to keep yourself and your family safe during severe weather. Severe weather conditions can quickly escalate, spawning multiple tornadoes in the [Continue Reading]

Schools to close due to threat of inclement weather.

January 21, 2016 // 0 Comments

Officials of both New Albany City Schools and Union County schools have announced that all schools will be closed tomorrow, Friday, January 22, 2016, due to the threat of bad weather. Local weather forcasts are calling for a chance of rain changing to snow early Friday morning, and periods of rain and/or snow on [Continue Reading]

New Albany weather was a big part of the story in 2015

January 1, 2016 // 0 Comments

A New Albany reader sent us this review of New Albany’s 2015 weather, which prompted us to look back at some of the weather-related stories we published in 2015. There were a lot of them. They related to local events that depended upon good weather for their success, civic projects that were affected by weather, [Continue Reading]

New Albany keeps close eye on rainy weather’s effects

July 3, 2015 // 0 Comments

UPDATE: Weather effects By 5:30 PM on Friday evening, the rain having slacked off, there was no longer water on Main Street. Though heavy rains left behind swollen streams and isolated flooding, neither the Union County Sheriff’s office nor the New Albany Chief of Police reported any accidents or injuries due to [Continue Reading]

Sunshine and Rising Temperatures Finally Winning Out in New Albany

March 8, 2015 // 0 Comments

    Weather contrasts are rarely so sharp as they were for the first week of March. With the first day of spring still two weeks off, and a bitter winter storm only two days past, it was a perfect sunny Saturday in New Albany.     Forty-eight hours earlier most of Union County was paralyzed with ice an [Continue Reading]

Winter Blues in Mississippi’s Hill Streets

March 5, 2015 // 0 Comments

Old Man Winter showed what is possibly the most treacherous side of his face last night, when freezing rain, sleet and gusting winds produced a heavy coating of ice throughout the New Albany area. Ice covers New Albany hills and highways. Though I personally observed the technique of several drivers who should have [Continue Reading]
1 2