Recent Posts

Opinion/Guests

Indoor dogs and 4% rain: glad we dodged the other 96%

June 13, 2018 // 0 Comments

At NAnewsweb.com, we have recently acquired a dog. Until then, we rarely noted the weather, unless the sirens were blasting. Prissy strayed up to our home a few months ago, caught our attention by eating out of our front porch bird feeder and hung around for the several weeks it took us to decide we wanted a dog. A [Continue Reading]

“A Declaration of Conscience” revisited, by Steve Patterson

May 25, 2018 // 0 Comments

“The torture of a bad conscience is the hell of a living soul” ~ John Calvin History is a great teacher. We should learn its valuable lessons, but sadly we all too frequently do not. The only reason we are “doomed,” as Santayana said, to repeat history’s mistakes is either because no one was listening the [Continue Reading]

Kratom: balm for opioid addicts or bane of law enforcement?

October 3, 2017 // 0 Comments

The kratom tree, specifically its glossy green leaves, has been used for centuries by Asians to boost energy, treat coughing, diarrhea, chronic pain and opium addiction. Kratom leaves Kratom, known in the scientific world as Mitragyna speciosa, is a member of the Rubiaceae family, which also includes coffee plants. [Continue Reading]

“Situation hopeless, but not impossible!”

February 13, 2017 // 3 Comments

By Steve Patterson   Dear Mr. President,   Steve Patterson, December 2015 I am a man of straightforward candor, so let me go ahead and clear the deck. I don’t like you. I have voiced my dislike for your bravado and otherwise distinctive “style,” both in writing and to any and all who sought [Continue Reading]

New Albany man thankful for good emergency medical care

February 1, 2017 // 0 Comments

30 January 2017 Letter to the Editor, On 3 January 2017 I was working at home building on my latest project, a combination carport and storage building. About mid-morning I had a severe pain in my back that I normally associated with heartburn. I had had these before and discounted them, usually by taking a Prilosec [Continue Reading]

The sorriest damned losers we’ve ever seen

December 29, 2016 // 2 Comments

New Albany, MS– Over a pre-Christmas drink at Tallahatchie Gourmet, a friend referred to Clinton supporters and the Obama Administration as the “sorriest damned losers” he’d ever seen. He is a fellow who knows whereof he speaks. He is a practical man with long experience as an effective [Continue Reading]

Why I am voting for Theo Epstein for president

November 3, 2016 // 1 Comment

The two major political parties have again failed the American people. The quality of presidential candidates served up by both Democrats and Republicans during the last six election cycles has been mediocre at best. This year they’ve outdone themselves: we have on the Democratic ticket a leader of a long-lived [Continue Reading]

INVECTIVE: an opinion by Steve Patterson

October 17, 2016 // 7 Comments

“Invective: Insulting, abusive, or highly critical language.” Oxford Dictionary   “He is careful of what he reads, for that is what he will write. He is careful of what he is learning, for that is what he will know.” Annie Dillard   Is it possible to gain the Presidency of the United States through the [Continue Reading]
1 2 3 6